Short on ideas on how to save money? Here are over 75 ideas to start saving money today.
1) Invest in your 401(k) at work. Invest at least enough to get the full employer match.
2) Switch to an online bank account that will earn you slightly more interest (like Capital One 360)
3) Avoid credit cards at all costs if you tend to be a spender. If you are a spender, use an all cash budget.
4) Track your net worth.
5) Turn the lights off when you leave a room.
6) Use Ibotta to coupon easily.
7) Sell household items you no longer use and put that money into your emergency fund.
8) Start a side hustle and save the earnings.
9) Refinance your debt to obtain a lower interest rate.
10) Split your debt payments into 2 or 3 payments per month instead of 1. This saves you money on interest.
11) Do a no-spend month.
12) Pack lunch instead of eating out.
13) Start meal planning each week and buy only what you need.
14) Have meatless Mondays to save on protein cost.
15) Start an emergency fund. This will save you money in the future.
16) Avoid eating out for a month.
17) Stop drinking alcohol and see the cost savings add up.
18) Track all of your spending.
19) Pay off your credit card every month and never carry over debt.
20) If you respond well to a credit card, sign up for one with good cash back rewards.
21) Save all of your spare change and take it to the bank twice a year.
22) Transfer your credit card balance onto a new card with 0% interest introductory period – and then pay it off immediately.
23) Use AirBNB or VRBO instead of paying for expensive hotels.
24) Purchase gently used clothing from Goodwill or Poshmark.
25) Buy clothing after the season. For example, winter coats are expensive right when winter begins.
26) Have freezer meals on hand to heat up quickly when you don’t feel like cooking.
27) Make your own laundry detergent.
28) Start investing
29) Create a Personal Capital account. It is the best way to keep track of all of your finances in one place!
30) Find cheaper hobbies that don’t require memberships or equipment.
31) Hang your clothes to dry instead of using a dryer.
32) Stop buying bottled water.
33) Wash and reuse Ziploc baggies instead of buying all new.
34) Unplug appliances when out of town.
35) Use Rover to board your pets instead of paying for traditional boarding.
36) Start selling old clothing on Poshmark.
37) Trim your own hair or wait longer between salon visits.
38) Do your nails yourself.
39) If you are on a high deductible health plan, start contributing to an HSA to save on healthcare costs.
40) Stop all of your magazine subscriptions.
41) Workout at home with free YouTube videos instead of paying for classes or a gym.
42) Start a blog to have opportunities to earn extra income.
43) Buy Christmas gifts throughout the year instead of all at once. You’re more likely to get better deals this way.
44) Buy generic makeup or cleaning supplies. These really aren’t any different than name-brand.
45) Call and ask your car insurance company for a better rate.
46) Cancel cable.
47) Negotiate your internet bill.
48) Hold potlucks instead of going out to eat with friends.
49) Give up soda – drink water instead.
50) Schedule regular maintenance on your car.
51) Don’t skip doctor’s appointments.
52) Use half the amount of soap in your dishwasher than you usually do. It gets dishes just as clean.
53) Groom your pets at home instead of taking them to the groomers.
54) Stick with basic foods, but invest in spices. Spices can really change a dish but don’t cost much money.
55) Start investing, even if you only have $100.
56) Stop hoarding money. If you’re like me, you like to have your money close. It’s better to keep an emergency fund on hand and invest the rest or pay off debt more quickly.
57) Stop smoking.
58) Get a roommate if you can. This is one of the easiest things to do to save a lot of money every month.
59) Move to an apartment closer to work and save on gas and wear-and-tear.
60) Carpool to work or take public transportation.
61) Get regular exercise and eat well.
62) Use coconut oil or olive oil to condition your hair instead of buying expensive deep conditioners.
63) Sign up for a grocery store membership card.
64) Shop at cheaper grocery stores, such as Aldi.
65) Avoid ATMS, or find a bank that offers free ATM withdrawals.
66) Study your investments to make sure you are getting the best return possible.
67) Read personal finance books.
68) Write down your personal finance goals.
69) Sell any old textbooks you have laying around.
70) Avoid turning on your heat or air conditioning until last minute.
71) Save any unexpected money you run into (ie a tax return or bonus).
72) Reevaluate your budget every month.
73) Ask for a raise and save the difference.
74) Find a higher paying job and save the difference.
75) Find accountability! Having a friend, significant other, or family member with similar goals as you will only bolster your progress.